Skateboarding has indeed come a long way since the time the action sport was pioneered by children freewheeling (taken from roller skates) in the 1940s.
If you’re looking to start out as a beginner skateboarder either to graduate to a level of professional skateboarding or just to pursue the sport as a form of recreational activity, you’ll surely need a good skateboard.
However, as a beginner, you may not be able to figure out how to choose the best skateboard for beginners. As a first-timer, you’ll have a hard time deciding whether to buy the parts individually and then improvise these to have a complete unit or to opt for a branded preassembled skateboard.
This is how most of the beginners end up feeling after browsing for hours, researching the constituent parts or components of a skateboard like a deck, wheels, hardware, and the bearings.
Top 6 Best Skateboards For Beginners In 2018
In this review on the best skateboard for beginners, we’ll walk you through the quality parameters you’d need to take into consideration before making up your mind on the skateboard that’ll be appropriate for your needs and preferences.
Here are the best skateboards for beginners in 2018.
|ENJOI Whitey Panda Skateboard||7-ply Canadian Maple||7 pounds|
|POSITIV Team Complete Skateboards||High-grade hardwoods||3.8 pounds|
|Punisher Elephantasm 31-Inch Skateboard||9-ply mixed Canadian Maple||5.9 pounds|
|SCSK8 Pro Skateboard/Cruiser||Maplewood<||7 pounds|
|Skatro Mini Cruiser 22 x 6-inch||Reinforced plastic & Stainless steel bearings||4.7 pounds|
|Powell Golden Dragon Skateboard||7-ply Maplewood||5.1 pounds|
ENJOI Whitey Panda Skateboard
The ENJOI Whitey Panda Skateboard is a great skateboard to start training with as a neophyte. It has a pro/branded deck while the other parts or components are unbranded or blank.
If you’re willing to overlook this discrepancy, you’ll be able to kick-start your skateboarding training program on an excellent note.
The deck width of this board is 7.75 inches which is one of the recommended dimensions mentioned above.
The board has been constructed out of 7-ply Canadian Maple which makes this product eminently durable and resistant to wear-and-tear. The wheels having a thickness of 51mm and rolling on ABEC 5 ball bearings, offer good traction and stability when you’re in a stationary position and momentum while you’re on the go.
The only downside (which is a matter of perspective) about the product is that it is delivered to you in an unassembled condition.
However, many skateboarders and that include beginners as well, lap up the thrill of connecting the parts, and with time, you too will enjoy assembling the ENJOI Whitey Panda Skateboard.
The panda emblem embossed on the deck is instantly recognizable by skateboarders.
What We Liked
- The entire deck has been constructed out of 7-ply Canadian Maple, a hardwood that thrives in North American and is reputed for its hardiness
- Perfect for those starting out with skateboarding as it has a width size of 7.75 inches which is the recommended dimension for greenhorns
- The deck is the longboard type which makes it suitable for cruising in open spaces or skating down slopes or inclines
- The wheels are extremely hard and excellently contoured enabling you to perform flip tricks, slides, nolies, switches or grabs with deftness
- The concavity of the deck promotes aerodynamics letting you cruise along smoothly
What We Didn’t Like
- The product is shipped in an unassembled state which means you’d have to put the parts together to create the skateboard
- The ball bearings and wheels may not be as effective as advertized
- The design of the skateboard doesn’t allow you to perform high-level tricks
POSITIV Team Complete Skateboards
The Team Complete Skateboard from Positiv championed by team members Sandro Dias, Andy McDonald, and Rodney Jones has been designed and formulated innovatively keeping needs/preferences of both experienced and novice skaters.
The Skateboard looks plain yet has a sophisticated appearance about it owing to its robust construction and stylistic form factor.
Hardwood varieties like birch and maple have been used for fabricating the deck, making it incredibly hardy enabling it to withstand the rough and tumble of skateboarding.
Signature AirLam adhesive blends and binds multiple wood plies together making the bonding very strong.
The AirLam sealing makes the skateboards highly resistant to moisture and ravages from the elements.
The underneath of the deck has been varnished with an SST slide that comes in handy when you take those heart-stopping slides. The width of the deck is 8.0” which might be somewhat uncomfortable for beginners as we recommended a width size of 7.
However, the wheels with a width of 37mm and the wheelbase having a broadness of 14.375” is more than compensate for the inadequate width of the deck (for those beginning to skate).
What We Liked
- The board has been fabricated out of high-grade hardwoods that enable the product to remain effectively functional for years on end
- The components work in perfect cohesion letting you pick up the ropes of skateboarding in a short time span
- The trucks tighten rightly allowing you the leeway to perform a variety of tricks
- The surface concavity goes a long way in promoting momentum and thrust
- The wheels firmly tethered to the wheel base roll smoothly letting you skate on even ground or slide down slopes without any hindrance
- The board is delivered to you in an assembled state
What We Didn’t Like
- The width of the deck at 8.0” is not quite suitable for those starting to skating
- The wheels may not always offer good traction or maneuverability as advertised
Punisher Elephantasm 31-Inch Skateboard
The Punisher Elephantasm 31-Inch Skateboard has been constructed with a high degree of meticulousness making it ideally suitable for the trainee skateboarder aged 8 years and beyond.
This skateboard is a product of superlative quality whose deck material has been chipped out of 9-ply mixed Canadian maple imparting to it an extremely high level of hardiness.
The twofold kicktail and the concave curvature of the deck offer you the much needed initial momentum required for cruising on even surfaces or sliding down a steep incline.
The partial concave profile of the deck also provides you good traction during rides and comes in supremely handy while you perform lip tricks, slides/grinds, flip tricks, Indy grab, and Ollie.
The skateboard comes with polyurethane ivory-colored wheels that roll smoothly on any type of surface as well as being able to withstand rough handling or wear-and-tear.
The polyurethane cushioning, polyethylene riser pads and ABEC-5 wheel bearings also contribute towards making the skateboard highly effective.
Bases & trucks on the front and back are of hardwearing 5” alloy which adds to the robustness of the deck.
What We Liked
- Hardwearing and durable construction as 9-ply mixed Canadian Maple has been used
- The double kick tail coupled with the concave profile of the deck gives you the impetus for carrying out skateboarding tricks including but not limited to ollies, heelflips or kickflips
- The form factor or contour of the deck is perfect both for simple cruising around and conducting high-level tricks that require having sharp skills
- Is delivered in a completely assembled state
- All basic components including the wheel base, wheels, base, truck, and deck have been designed and produced with perfection
What We Didn’t Like
- The width of the deck is not suitable for beginners
- The product is not as hardy as advertised and might not last very long
SCSK8 Pro Skateboard/Cruiser
The SCSK8 Pro Skateboard/Cruiser is a modestly priced skateboard that can be used to the optimum by the hardcore professional, beginner, everyday skater, and the casual rider.
The deck has been designed by a skateboarder and has been fabricated in a manner that makes it incredibly functional in every aspect.
The deck of the skateboard has been created out of 7-ply Canadian Maple lending to it an exceptional degree of robustness.
The 5” trucks at the rear and front have been constructed out of aluminum and they set firmly on the underneath of the board that transfers good traction and stability during rides.
The ivory white 52mm wheels made out of polyurethane provide a good bounce and roll perfectly against any level of resistance. The red-colored 5” circular bearings are instrumental in furnishing good flexibility to the wheels.
The deck is completely blank and free of any logo, graphics or imprints providing you the liberty to customize the space with your own drawings or stickers.
What We Liked
- The product has been chiseled out of the best grade of Maplewood that lends to it a high degree of robustness
- The 5 x 8 x 32 inches deck offers sufficient space to all skateboarders when it comes to finding a footing or balancing oneself
- Grip tape contributes towards transferring an improved level of mobility and maneuverability
- The product is supplied to you as a single compact unit sparing you from the hassle of having to assemble the parts or components
- The hardy Maplewood deck is thoroughly plain without any decoration or artwork leaving the surface free for you to incorporate your own drawings or designs
What We Didn’t Like
- The skateboard weighing 7 pounds is a tad bulky rendering it difficult to be towed or carried around
- The width of the deck is not apt for beginners
- Grip tape might come off at times making it problematic for the skateboarder
Skatro Mini Cruiser 22 x 6-inch
The Skatro Cruiser is a mini skateboard that kids, professional cruisers, and beginners can use with an equal degree of flexibility and comfortableness. The proprietary Flexy Technology of Skatro makes sure that each and every skateboard coming out of the assembly lines have firmness or hardness that is consistent.
In other words, the amount of plastic that is going through the plastic injection machine is neither too high nor too low that might make the deck extremely taut or unduly malleable.
Then again, the Ultimate ABEC-7 bearings are of bearing steel instead of the standard carbon steel that most conventional bearings are made of, thereby imparting to the component of a greater level of hardness.
This toughness enables the bearings to deal and alleviate with friction when they rotate. Consequently, wheel rotation or rolling is smoother and faster on one hand while on the other, the wear-and-tear of the bearings is checked as well.
The waffle-type texture of the deck’s surface helps in providing good grip and the polyurethane Skatro wheels that are polished promotes mobility.
The aluminum trucks connecting the wheels are gold plated which protects the base from the elements.
What We Liked
- The mini deck made from reinforced plastic has a consistency that facilitates cruising
- The stainless steel bearings help in tackling resistance thereby allowing the wheels to roll speedily
- The material of the bearings also are extremely resistant to everyday wear and tear
- The PE wheels have a smooth texture that promotes rolling and controlling the deck in a manner that is suitable for both beginners and kids
- The packaging is delivered with a T-tool free of cost which helps in hardening or loosening the rivets according to your convenience
- At 4.7 pounds the skateboard is very lightweight rendering it convenient to carry, ride and maneuver
What We Didn’t Like
- The skateboard is ideal only for transportation from one point to another or simple cruising and not for performing tricks
- Since it is too lightweight, it can pose problems for skateboarders who’re a tad hefty
Powell Golden Dragon Skateboard
The Powell Golden Dragon Skateboard seamlessly blends with good looks with great functionality. A fire-spouting dragon covers the entire base of the skateboard that attracts the attention of passionate skateboarders immediately.
Each and every Powell deck has been reinforced by a polymeric strap that makes the board flexible and robust at the same time.
This binding is so strong and firm that even if you end up breaking the board, the strap will keep it intact letting you skate conveniently.
The deck has been created from veneers of 7-ply Maplewood that have been pressed together using AirLam press technology that enables the deck to withstand any type of handling.
The width of the deck is 7.625 which more or less allow all categories of skaters to find balance and poise during rides. The wheels have a hardness rating (99a) that lets them tolerate erosion and the tough bearings promote rotation with speed.
The truck base too has been constructed of high-grade metal that holds the wheels firmly while you cruise at top speed.
What We Liked
- The product is highly durable because of the 7-ply Maplewood material
- The wheels having a 99a specification are extremely hardy
- The polyurethane wheels roll perfectly on any kind of surface
- The bearings transfer additional flexibility to the wheels
- The deck have a standardized tautness that is compounded because of the grip tape
What We Didn’t Like
- The trucks are somewhat flimsy and may not hold up in the long run
- The 99a rated wheels are little too hard which makes the skateboard unsuitable for riding across streets
Best Skateboard for Beginners – Buyer’s Guide
To begin with, you’ll have to decide how or in what manner you wish to purchase the best skateboard for beginners. In other words, you’ll have to choose between purchasing the sections or parts separately which you’ll assemble yourself or go for a completely assembled product.
There are obvious advantages and disadvantages associated with both the options but that is altogether a different story. Professional and seasoned skateboarders prefer to buy the wheels, deck, trucks, and bearings individually,
Purchasing each and every component separately offers them the leeway to personalize the skateboard in accordance with their preferences, convenience, and style. Also, they’re able to exercise greater control over the equipment as they’re in a position to discard and replace any component when it’s worn out.
What to look for when purchasing an assembled skateboard?
Type of skateboard
The focus of this review article will be on helping budding skateboarders to pick and choose a complete best skateboard for beginners. Thereby you’ll have to ask yourself, do I want a shortboard, cruiser, old school or longboard skateboard?
Though skateboards are available in a range of types, the four basic that are used extensively include the ‘shortboard’, cruiser, old school, and ‘longboard’.
- Shortboards are best suited for skateboarders who are looking to become a pro in carrying out stunning tricks and are specifically interested in street skating.
- Cruisers are nearly similar to longboards as both the styles are geared towards transportation or just cruising around. Cruiser decks often come with kicktails and they are generally shorter than longboards making them highly maneuverable.
- Old school skateboards can be distinguished by their asymmetrical form typified by a broad nose and kicktails. Old school decks happen to be the choice of experienced skateboarders who’re eager to display their skills on ramps and skating pools.
- Longboard decks have a perfectly symmetrical form with cutouts for installing large wheels and can be positioned closer to the surface making this type of skateboard supremely suitable for beginners.
Skateboard size matters
When we’re talking about the size of the skateboard it is the width that matters the most and not the wheelbase or the length. The width dimension that’d be apt for you will depend upon skating styles preference, shoe size, and your height.
Skateboards are usually available in a width range of 7.25”-8.25”. Given that range, if you select a deck with a width that is too small for you, you’ll find it difficult to balance.
Conversely, choosing a board with a very broad width, you may have to put in too much effort for skateboarding. If you’re not sure what width size or dimension to go for, settle for a 7.75 or 7.5.
Pro or blank skateboards?
A great majority of the skateboards that you see on driveways, parkways, and in the open spaces happen to be pro decks. Pro decks are generally branded manufactured by producers who have a reputation to uphold and maintain.
These decks are usually printed with eye-popping images and logos and there’s no doubting their superior quality.
You’ll need to shell out a good amount as the pro skateboards will give you more bang for your bucks. However, if you wish to have a pro deck without paying out more, you can opt to have a customized product with generic or unbranded parts where only the board is branded.
As far as blank skateboards go, only a handful happen to be branded.
On the flipside, blank boards have a dull appearance because these are made of wood that is not varnished and generally without graphics.
Then again, a blank deck doesn’t offer any scope for customization, and there is great variance in quality when comparing one batch with another. The only advantage you get when you decide to buy a blank deck is that it comes cheap.
The price of the skateboard is surely a significant factor when you’re in the process of selecting a product that’d be your best fit, simply because the cost is a standard indicator or pointer of quality.
Any pro or branded product fabricated from parts of superlative grades will cost in the range of $80-$110. A product of average quality will set you down by $60-$70 and a skateboard with a blank deck will cost about $30-$50. Never settle for a product that costs below $25.
So, there you’ve it. 6 top-rated skateboards for beginners. For a great majority of individuals, skateboarding tends to be a means of having fun with friends or freaking out.
But then again, there are many who’re willing to practice for long hours in order to become a pro and participate in competitive formats of skateboarding.
All the products listed above are good enough to start training with. If you’re willing to invest a little extra money, you can opt for the ENJOI Whitey Panda or Skatro Mini Cruiser skateboard. Or else, the Powell Golden Dragon or SCSK8 Pro Skateboard makes a good buy if you’re on a tight budget.